Wednesday 21 October 2015

How do I stay motivated?






I am part of an awesome group on Facebook: SleekGeek SA (Sleekgeek is completely community driven platform with endless amounts of inspiration, motivation and profound camaraderie found within) and yesterday I posted a transformation photo (as you do on #transformationTuesday!). This photo received 1382 likes and 112 comments! Every person praising me and saying how amazing I have done and that I am a true inspiration. The boost I get from these type of messages is unreal, it motivates me to push harder and keeps me on track. A lot of people also ask how I stay motivated, and this is abit of a tough question as I am not entirely sure myself. So I have thought about this and tried to write down some points which I believe helps me stay motivated: 

* Set goals  
You need to have a plan, something to work towards. Whether it is losing 5kg or getting to run 5k without stopping. Set a goal, tell the world, and go for it. Renew your goals every once in a while as well. My original goal was to lose weight, but now I am more focused on getting stronger and my goals are more performance based, like for example I would like to be able to squat 100kg and do 6 unassisted pull-ups before the end of the year. In which ever you find yourself, find something to work towards and do it. 

*Be prepared
Plan your meals in advance and mealprep. Make time in your diary to work out. When you are not prepared it is easy to get caught off track. For eg. you didn't plan your lunch and you need to go out to get food and you end up getting something which does not fit into your current mealplan. Once you have done this is easy to say ''Oh I didn't eat right today so there is no point in going to the gym today''. See the downwards spiral?

*Look at your progress
Take photos! Sometimes it is still difficult for me to see the changes in myself, but comparing photos puts things into perspective. Also look back at where you started - 1 year ago I could not run for more than 10 minutes without being out of breathe, today I can run 10km without breaking out in a sweat. 

*The scale sucks
Don't become too fixated on the number on the scale. The times where I have noticed the most change in my body is where the scale stayed the same. Do record your weight, but don't let this get you down. 

*Don't deprive yourself 
Find a diet that fits in your lifestyle. Don't stave yourself as you won't be able to continue with this. This what I love about IIFYM, if I plan correctly I can have chocolate and cookies every day. Also allow cheatmeals/days. 1 bad meal will not ruin your progress! So have it and ENJOY it! 

*Stop being so self aware
I get asked very often whether I am intimidated stepping into the gym. At first yes it was scary and people usually think that people in the gym stare and make fun of other people. This is however not the truth, the people in the gym are normally too involved with themselves to notice you. So realize that the only person judging you is you. 

*Have fun
Find something that you enjoy, whether this is running, weightlifting, yoga or crossfit. 

xxNatasha



No comments:

Post a Comment